Saturday, August 30, 2008

New Recipe: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

Torsten and I were having dinner guests, so I decided to break away from the Weight Watchers thing for the night and bake an actually decadent dessert. Of course, I didn't decide this until we were actually at the grocery store, so I wound up making the recipe on the back of the cocoa can because that was the only way I could be sure to buy all the ingredients. Luckily, it turned out delicious. I don't know the Weight Watchers points, and I think that's really for the best. Also, my apologies for the small number of photos--my camera battery was on its last legs, and I only got a couple photos before it crapped out completely. But you get the idea.

New Recipe: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting Cake Ingredients
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk [I used 2%]
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
Cake Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
  3. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
  4. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
  5. Pour batter into pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely
Frosting Ingredients
  • 1 stick butter or margarine
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Frosting Instructions
  1. Melt butter.
  2. Stir in cocoa.
  3. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency.
  4. Add more milk if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups.
Assembly

There were no instructions on the assembly part, and I struggled a little bit with this because both cakes were sort of rounded on top, but by the time they had cooled completely they'd flattened out a little bit, so it wound up being okay. I just frosted one cake, then stuck the other one on top and frosted it too. It definitely didn't look professional, and I'm sorry I don't have a photo, but it worked.


The verdict: Oh my god delicious. I mean, I know it's pretty hard to go wrong with chocolate cake, but I've never been much of a baker so I was particularly proud of myself for making a cake from scratch. And it was easy, too--basically a bunch of mixing. I know, I always say my recipes are easy. Maybe I don't challenge myself enough or something, but most of what I cook DOES seem to be easy, and this was no exception. I had been a little worried about whether the cakes would stick to the pans, because I've never greased and floured a pan before, but the cakes slid right out after they had cooled for about ten minutes.

The cake went over very well. I try not to make unhealthy desserts often, so I don't know if I'll make this again, but I will definitely keep the recipe in mind for the next time we have company.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Look at you, baking from scratch! I'm so impressed. It looks delicious and I wish I had a piece RIGHT NOW.

Cherish said...

The trick to the assembly is that the first cake goes upside down so that both flat parts end up in the middle. Looks yummy!