New Recipe: Beef Fajitas
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided [We only used one.]
- 1 pound chicken or lean beef, cut into strips
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips [We used three, all different colors.]
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package fajita seasoning mix
- 8 flour tortillas [We used six.]
- Potential additions, to taste: Avocado/guacamole, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, Mexican cheese, salsa, and/or sour cream
- Note: As you can see from the photos, we also cooked rice to go with this. It tasted fine, but totally wasn't necessary, and we hardly used any of it.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. [We also combined the onion and pepper at this point.]
- Add meat; cook and stir three minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from skillet.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil [we skipped the extra oil]. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir three to five minutes.
- Return meat to skillet. Stir in water and seasoning mix. Cook and stir three minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon into warm tortillas. Serve with toppings if desired.
The verdict: Super, super easy and totally delicious. It was especially good with fresh avocado and tomatoes. We used whole wheat tortillas, too, which made us feel virtuous. We will definitely be making this dish again.