Tuesday, July 15, 2008

New Recipe: Garlic Cream Shrimp

Last night, we had some shrimp that we had to cook but neither of us was in the mood for the enchiladas I was going to make with it. So I decided to go out on a limb and attempt to modify a shrimp recipe that I had been eyeing in order to make it work with the limited ingredients we had on hand.

Bad. Idea. Rule number one of experimental cooking: Rice and pasta are not interchangeable. But I think the original recipe might have been tasty, so I'm going to post it here.

Garlic Cream Shrimp: Makes 4 servings; 10 WW points per serving

Ingredients
  • 12 oz uncooked rigatoni [We didn't have rigatoni so I used rice instead. DO NOT RECOMMEND. To get the amount, I calculated the equivalent WW points of 12 oz. of rigatoni and came up with 1 3/4 cups of uncooked rice.]
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped [I skipped this because I don't like peppers.]
  • 4 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup wine, white, dry [We didn't have white wine so I used chicken broth instead, and added extra to try to keep the rice moist.]
  • 1 pound shrimp, medium, flesh only or 2 lbs, peeled and deveined [I used one pound of shrimp, weighed with the shells on. I guess that's less than the recipe actually calls for. Whoops.]
  • 4 medium scallions, chopped [We didn't have scallions so I just used a bunch of dried herbs and spices to add flavor.]
  • 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped [We didn't have this either, so I used fresh basil instead.]
Instructions
  1. Cook rigatoni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
  2. Coat a nonstick pan with cooking spray, heat and add onions, garlic and pepper.
  3. Cook for 2 minutes, lower heat and stir in sour cream and wine.
  4. Add shrimp and cook until pink. [I also added some seasoning, and then fresh basil, at this point.]
  5. Stir in rigatoni, scallions and parsley and warm through.

The verdict: Oh my god, sticky and mushy like risotto gone wrong, and super bland despite all the spices I added. Only copious amounts of shredded Parmesan and ground pepper salvaged this meal. But if I'd made it using the original recipe and put it over pasta, as directed, it could potentially have had merit. The white wine would have given it a bit more flavor, and the pasta wouldn't have absorbed all the sauce the way the rice did. Still, I don't think we'll be trying this recipe again. If anyone does try the original recipe, please let me know how it turns out!

4 comments:

Fiona Picklebottom said...

Oh, this was sounding right up my alley until your verdict. Sorry it didn't turn out well.

Stefanie said...

Well, it SOUNDS good anyway. I don't blame you for experimenting; in theory the rice version should have been just as tasty!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it definitely sounds good, but sometimes things just go awry for no good reason.

Anonymous said...

This was very good as written. I used carrots and sugar snap peas instead of the red pepper, and some ribbon noodles instead of the rigatoni (because that's what I had around). Kids enjoyed it too.