Friday, August 1, 2008

New Recipe: Moo Shu Beef

I LOVE moo shu beef, but I was skeptical about being able to make it at home. But it seemed like it was worth a shot. And my apologies in advance, but I forgot to take photos. Still, the recipe is worth sharing.

Moo Shu Beef: Makes 6 servings; 6 WW points per serving

Ingredients
  • 8 oz lean sirloin beef
  • 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 2 medium scallions, chopped
  • 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 Tbsp sherry cooking wine
  • 2 cup Chinese cabbage, or Napa cabbage, chopped [I used Napa.]
  • 1/3 cup canned bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
  • 1/3 cup canned straw mushrooms, drained and sliced
  • 1 large egg white, beaten
  • 12 medium tortilla, flour, fat-free, warmed [I used low-fat whole wheat tortillas, and we only used 8.]
  • 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
Instructions
  1. Place beef in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and cornstarch; stir to coat.
  2. Heat oil in large skillet or wok [I used a skillet, since we don't own a wok]. Add scallions and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
  3. Add beef and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Add remaining soy sauce and sherry; cook 1 minute more.
  4. Add cabbage, bamboo shoots and mushrooms. Sauté until vegetables are browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in egg white and cook 2 minutes more.
  5. To serve: Place a heated tortilla on a plate. Spread 2 teaspoons of hoisin sauce on tortilla and then place 3 tablespoons of beef filling on top of sauce. Roll up, folding in one end to seal in filling. Yields 2 filled tortillas per serving.
The verdict: DELICIOUS. Very similar to the moo shu I know and love in restaurants, but much healthier. The recipe is simple to make, and I didn't even alter it. I loved eating all those vegetables, too. It made me feel virtuous. We will definitely be making this one again.

2 comments:

bren j. said...

I wanna make it just because it has such a cool name! It sounds tasty.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I love finding a new recipe for the rotation.